The People of the State of New York v. Croman, et al.
Croman Tenant Restitution Fund
Index No. 450545/2016

Welcome to the Croman Tenant Restitution Fund Website

If you are or were a tenant in a rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartment owned by Steven Croman, you may be eligible for payment from the Croman Tenant Restitution Fund.

Important Update: The Claims Administrator issued a further check distribution to eligible claimants on April 13, 2023.


Para información en español, haga clic aquí.


On May 9, 2016, the New York Attorney General’s Office (“NYAG”) sued Steven Croman and others for engaging in tenant harassment, fraud, and other unlawful practices directed at rent-regulated tenants. On December 20, 2017, the parties settled the lawsuit.

What does the Settlement provide?

The settlement requires the defendants to pay $8 million in four equal installments into the Croman Tenant Restitution Fund, to be distributed among eligible tenants. A qualified claim is defined as entitlement to a portion of the Croman Restitution Fund because of tenancy in a rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartment unit owned by Steven Croman. If your claim is determined to be eligible, you will receive payments in installments over a period of approximately 38-42 months. Payments for one apartment will be divided equally among tenants named on the lease. 

Am I eligible to receive payments?

If you are or were a tenant in a rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartment owned by Steven Croman, and you lived in the apartment at some point between July 1, 2011 and December 20, 2017, you may be eligible for payment. For more information about who is eligible, visit the Eligibility page.

How do I submit a claim?

You are not required to participate in the claims process. If you do wish to participate, you must send a completed Claim Form and Release and any supporting documents to the Claims Administrator. For more information on how to participate, visit the Submit a Claim page.

How I can I get additional information?

More information about the settlement is available in the Consent Decree and Tenant Restitution Claims Notice, which can be downloaded from the Important Documents page, and answers to common questions about the Croman Tenant Restitution Fund are available on the Frequently Asked Questions page. If you have any questions regarding the Notice, please contact the Claims Administrator at the below address, by telephone at 1-833-898-4009, or via the form on the Contact Us page.

NOTE: neither the Claims Administrator nor the NYAG can provide you with advice, legal or otherwise, concerning your rights and options in connection with this matter, and you are encouraged to consult a lawyer before making any decisions in this regard. If you are receiving public assistance, child support payments, or other types of financial aid, you are especially encouraged to consult with a lawyer regarding the potential impact of payments from the Tenant Restitution Fund. See FAQ 10 for the contact information of NYC non-profit agencies who provide legal assistance and answer questions about government benefits.

For More Information

Visit this website often to get the most up-to-date information.


Croman Tenant Restitution Fund
c/o JND Legal Administration
P.O. Box 91349
Seattle, WA 98111